I went to a rec center nearby to talk to them about soccer for Max. They told me to sign him up for this class for 3-5 year olds. I wasn't sure if this was the greatest idea since he had turned 3 just a month earlier, but they assured me that everyone was young and he would be fine. He actually was fine when he decided that he wanted to play, but a lot of the time he spent crying or exhibiting weird autistic-like behavior that I have never seen from him. I think it was his way of coping, poor kid. For a couple of the practices he forgot to be shy (or stubborn or whatever it was he was) and he had so much fun. The rest of the time. . .well, it was a little bit hard.
Here he is refusing to chase after the ball.

Max had a few coping mechanisms he did during his practices and games such as sucking his fingers, waving his arms around his head, and sitting on the floor and scooting around. He was also very good at ignoring the ball when it came anywhere near him.


He finished his last game with a smile. I finished his last game with an ulcer.

I'm not sure when I'll work up enough courage to sign him up for anything again. Max has a double stubborn streak from me and Tyler and you never know what he might decide he doesn't want to do.
2 comments:
Poor little Max, I remember how hard it was to make new friends in these types of activities. Poor Cass too... sometimes I think it's harder for the mom to watch. Oh, and the BYU/TCU game? What a blow out? My question is, did you cheer for BYU? I sure hope so, (but I guess even if you did, it didn't really help.) Nice try though! What a bummer deal that was.
Cass, you are hilarious. And your kids are adorable :)
Post a Comment