Thursday, February 28, 2008

Potty Training. . .Plan B

My original plan for potty training consisted of waiting until Max was ready to potty train himself. It would be simple and painless for me. One day he would come up to me and say, "Mom, I want to be a big boy and wear underpants and use the potty." I would replace diapers with underpants and life would be good. I might start to worry about getting him potty training if he was approaching 4. (We say "underpants" because that is what Max's potty training video calls it. My mom bought the video, not me.)

That brilliant plan was shattered this week when my mom called to tell me that the cruiseline doesn't allow kids to swim in the pool unless they are potty trained. My heart sank for little Max because our cruise is in less than 2 weeks. My mom then proceeded to tell me that all of her running friends potty trained their kids in a day and that I should as well. "Sounds good," I told her as images of Max kicking and screaming as Tyler tries to get him on the potty flash through my head. (Tyler tried to get him to start using the potty every time he has to change his diaper, all tries were very unsuccessful, hence the wait until he's 4 plan.)

There are books out on potty training in a day.
I read a snippet out of one that talked about doing a potty training dance in the bathroom using a potty training doll that wets himself etc., etc.. I could just picture Max saying, "Cut the crap, Mom, I still like my diapers." So instead of a dance I decided to come up with my own plan. In all of its elaborate detail it consisted of this: bribe the kid until he cooperates.

So after a quick trip to Target where I proceeded to buy Max more toys than he received on Christmas we began the potty training in a day, Cassidee style. I sat him down and said that he had to wear underwear and that he couldn't wear diapers any more. He started to cry, I offered him a toy if he would wear his underpants, he stopped crying and off went the diaper. He then proceeded to pee his pants twice before he could figure out how to go while sitting on the potty.
(Some of you may be thinking, "Obviously, your kid isn't ready and every good mother knows that you shouldn't force the issue of potty training." Well, I'm forcing it and besides, I'm not a good mother anyway!) Max got the bribe thing down pretty well. Our conversations consisted of me telling him to try to go potty, him crying and saying he didn't want to, me telling him if he went potty he could have a treat or pick out a toy, then Max saying, "I NEED to go potty, I NEED TO!" I wasn't sure if I was potty training him or simply teaching him to pee on demand.

Day 2 we ventured to the park hauling along the potty as well. He thinks its pretty cool that he got to go potty in the van. (As a side note, a strange guy was going around peering into my friends' cars. We saw him in his car just after this surrounded by four cop cars. I love Dallas.) He only had one accident when he didn't want to stop playing with his friend that was over. I figured that was understandable.

I just finished up Day 3. He did great until I decided to have quiet time. I tried to explain to Max that it was quiet time and he needed to stay in his room until I came and got him, but he could come out if he needed to go potty. He came out twice to tell me that he didn't want to have quiet time (both times promptly returning to his room and shutting his door before I could even respond), but failed to come out to tell me that he needed to go to the bathroom. I went into his room to tell him to come out and he informed me that he went poo in his pull-up. Unfortunately, a pull-up it was not. Those of you who use cloth diapers, you have my respect!

So there's my novel. I guess I have to vent somewhere. I am exhausted and stressed. Max really is doing great, especially considering the fact that neither of us were ready for this potty training thing. He's starting to feel pretty good about himself and how big he is.

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh the joys of potty training. I'm not looking forward to that again. It seems like they just don't get it..and it's hard for a week (or two). Then they just get how the whole thing works for some reason. It's strange, but true. Be persistent. GOOD LUCK! I loved your story. Stella definitely pooped her pants, but luckily it was only once. I can relate.

Crescent said...

This is so hilarious! You are too funny--thanks for giving me my laugh for the day. I've been hearing too many potty training horror stories lately, so I've decided to never potty train Maia.

Unknown said...

ahhh, potty training, I'm glad I'm not quite there yet. We're still working on sleeping through the night. Oiy! :)

Talea Hollingshead said...

I do not envy you in the least but since Mason is only 6 weeks younger than Max than I hope that doesn't mean I shortly need to get my act in gear too. Your way of words had me laughing out loud. Good luck!!

Katie said...

Pssst I will pay you to potty train Maggie! You're a great mom!

Kelly said...

Cass you are such a funny writer! I love it and I wish you the best of luck before your cruise. It sounds so fun and hopefully Max will get to swim with the big kids. I have been thinking of trying to potty train Eva before baby #2 comes but she won't even be 2 yet so I don't know...

Peck Family said...

You are such a good writer. This post made me laugh so hard. Good job with Max your so nice getting him all of those presents. Id pee on demand for you too for a present:)

Becky said...

Steven was almost 4 before he figured out how to go potty in the toilet. Believe me, that was a glorious day. I was ecstatic when Ashley (barely 2) decided to be potty trained with very little hassle :)

Cara said...

Hey Cassidee, I know this is random but this is Cara (Sandberg). I found a whole bunch of people's blogs from high school through one of my sister's friends. I loved looking through your blog and seeing what you and Tyler are up to! It's been so long since I've seen anyone! Usually I just browse through pictures but I started reading yours and had to read more because it's so funny! You're a great writer. I have a 2 year old and am not looking forward to the potty training thing either. Well if you care to check out my blog the address is:

moncurfam.blogspot.com

Your kids are adorable! Take care!