Friday, February 15, 2008

Texas half

Last Saturday I ran the Texas Half marathon and felt pretty good, finishing at 1:59 which is great for the amount of training I put in. This Saturday it is raining pretty hard so I went to the gym to run on the treadmill. I made it all of 3 miles (okay, maybe it wasn't even quite 3) before I had to stop because I swear a heart attack was coming on. I just can't do the treadmill thing, kudos to those who can! Back to the half. . .here are a few thoughts on that:
*It would be SO much easier to run if I weighed 20 pounds less!
*It would also be SO much easier to run if I would actually train. Running two days a week and then going out and running 13.1 miles just isn't fun.
*The RHCPs are my new favorite band to run to. They totally got me through the last 11 miles of the run. Yep, I felt like crap after mile 2.
*It had been 7 weeks since I had Tessa, how in the world did I run a marathon 6 weeks after having Max? I decided that I must have been crazy for doing it, some sort of postpartum psychosis or something.
*Tyler is way sweet, he woke up early to drop me off at the race and was there to see me finish. He was watching me run in, but didn't realize it was me so there are no pictures of me running. That's probably for the best though.
*I finally found a Gu that isn't terrible. It's called Carb boom orange vanilla and it tastes okay. (Okay means that I didn't almost puke trying to get it down.) It seemed to work pretty well.
*You know how you're supposed to say something like, "on the left" when you're passing someone? I always thought it was so you didn't scare the person as you came up on the side of them. In actuality it's so that person doesn't decide to do a quick farmers' blow as you're passing. Take my advice, let 'em know you're coming up behind them because having snot blown all over your face is just not fun!

5 comments:

Crescent said...

You are so crazy!! And amazing! Marathons are hard enough with 3 months of training (okay to me they are!), and that's WITHOUT having just had a baby. I'm looking to run a half-marathon this spring, but we'll see. They are my favorite race though...long enough to make it challenging, but not too much to make you not be able to walk for a week afterwards.

Megan said...

You amaze me...that is all I have to say.

Rebecca said...

Cass! You are so amazing! I feel proud of myself if I get to the grocery store the first month after having a baby...let alone running marathons. You look great! You inspire me to keep training for a half marathon (no full ones for me yet).

Annaca said...

Cass, you are crazy....CRAZY AWESOME!! I wish I could do a half in under 2 hours, even 2 years after having a baby would be good. No wait, I wish I would run a stinkin' half marathon at all after having my last baby!! If only my trainer would move home from Dallas.....sigh :)

jed-laura said...

That is the best post race blog text ever. (say that ten times fast!) No, really, the "farmer's blow" was my favorite!
-Laura