We've been in Dallas for about 6 months now. Sometimes it feels like an entirely different world down here. I've learned a few things about this place in these 6 months. If you're planning on moving to Dallas, here are a few inside tips:
- Expect to be sweaty and sticky all summer long. Oh, and the summers often last until November.
- It is quite normal for there to be a high of 48 degrees one day and 68 degrees the very next. Twenty degree fluctuations are to be expected. So watch the weather closely so you can dress appropriately.
- Own a garage if you drive an old 4-Runner, because apparently there is a huge industry in the theft of catalytic converters.
- The second you get here put your child on the waiting list to get into a mother's day off program, because if you don't get your child in that program then you'll have a heck of a time getting him into a preschool. You'll find yourself planning to show up at some Baptist church in the middle of Dallas at 5 in the morning on the first day of registration to wait in line with the hopes that some responsible mother who had their child enrolled in the mother's day off program decides not to continue on with preschool. Did that not make sense? Didn't make a whole lot of sense to me either. My friend explained how the preschool system works and then said, "Yeah, it's kind of crazy, but this is Dallas."
- If you think preschool is confusing, wait until they start explaining to you about school beyond that. Perhaps if you are smart enough to understand quantum physics you could also understand the Dallas ISD.
- You have to start your kid early in everything. They have soccer leagues for 18 month olds.
- This applies anywhere really, but if your 2 year old loves to jump off anything and everything, get in a bottom floor apartment. But if you insist on a 2nd floor apartment, then get some really cool neighbors underneath you (as ours are) who insist that your 2 year old can jump as much as he wants.
- Learn Spanish. If you live in our apartment complex then you should probably pick up Chinese as well. After that you should probably know Indian (is that what the people of India speak?). If you know all of those then it might help to know a little English, but make it Texas English and make sure to say "y'all" a lot.
- "Y'all" is actually a pretty convenient thing to say. (I don't use "y'all" yet, although I think it a lot. I need to live here at least a year or two before I feel genuine enough to really say it.)
- Drive a Mercedes and drive fast if you want to fit in.
- If you run outside then expect to get honked and whistled at. It doesn't matter if you just had a baby and look like you are still pregnant, are at least 20 pounds overweight, and your face is scarlet, they'll still honk. Apparently, the standards here are a bit lower than elsewhere.
- You may think the grocery store you shop at is safe, but don't be surprised when you hear about a murder/shooting in their parking lot.
- There's tons of fun things to do in Dallas, you just need a lot of money to do them.
- Watch out, because you just might find yourself actually liking this crazy place.
6 comments:
Thanks, Cass. I'll be sure to take this all into consideration!
Tessa is a doll! Looks a lot like her daddy!
I just had to say ya'll is so much better than yinz. That is what the Pittsburghers say instead of ya'll (exact same meening). They have thier own language here too and I just hope I don't start using it. One thing I can't stand is they drop "to be" for example, "My clothes need washed." I hear it daily.
Oh geez Cass, i still couldn't make it to the end because of that glaring grammatical error. I thought you were going to fix that. Just kidding, i meant to say i had fun hanging out with you guys this weekend. Thanks for letting me come down. Too bad max was wrong about me staying with him for two more weeks.
Jordan
Grammatical error is now fixed! Thanks for coming Jordan. Max keeps talking about SLC. He asked Tyler, "Should we go to Salt Lake?"
Sounds like a fun place to live! Shawn's sister lived in Dallas also and she said the same thing about the sports starting so... early. That is weird. I taught PE to kindergarten age kids and it was the most confusing thing ever. I can only imagine what a soccer game would look like with 18 month olds playing! By the way Tess is so cute. She and Max look nothing alike. But they are both some of the cutest kids I have ever seen. Have fun in Dallas.
Post a Comment