Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Turkey Trot
Thanksgiving day we went and ran the Dallas Turkey Trot with 34,000 other people. Ty was such a good sport and did the 8 mile race with me even though his training consisted of running 2 miles the week before and then "tapering". Although the 8 mile run started 15 minutes before the 5k we didn't cross the start until 17 minutes into the race. We were starting at the back of the pack since we had a stroller, but as soon as the horn went off the 24,000 (give or take a few) people doing the 5k started pushing past us to get to the start. It was super frustrating seeing all of these people who had probably never run a day in their life shoving us to get closer to the start. Despite the fact that they had managed to squeeze themselves into spandex running attire I knew for a fact that they would not be going faster than us. But with the stroller we were just kind of stuck. Our only consolation was that there were quite a few (actually 4 or 5) 8 mile strollers in our same shoes. Anyway, once we passed the start it didn't get much better because pretty much everyone was walking. It took us another 16 minutes to go one mile and we made it to 2 miles in 44 minutes (non chip time). After 2 1/2 miles the 5k and 8 mile courses separated and then it was smooth sailing and wonderful from there. I don't think anyone passed us, but we passed a ton of people. Really, I truly was so thankful for my sweet little family during that race. For Ty for running with me and for my kids to be chill enough to hang out in a stroller for 2 hours. Oh, and we rode the DART rail to and from the race so Max thought that was pretty great.







Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's awesome Cass. I have been doing my best to get back into the swing of running. I think it's great that you all ran as a family and the kids are going to remember it for a long time as well. Your babies are such cuties. Tell Ty I said, "Hi." If I don't blog before then I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas, Birthday, and Anniversary. :0)
There are drawbacks to carting the kids and stroller in races, although when you have a stroller you're usually not looking to get your PR (well, at least I'm not..maybe you are) :) I LOVE the stretching pics, and Tessa in her sweet little coat. Could your kids be any cuter?!
Post a Comment