Thursday, May 31, 2012

Finishing up Kindergarten

Last year around this time I started to have a few too many emotional breakdowns. I finally figured out that most of my freak-outs were due to the fact that Max would be starting kindergarten. Max was perfectly fine, but I certainly was not. Of course all my worry proved unnecessary and Max had a great experience (but we sure missed him at home). He loved his teacher, Mr. Jenks, made lots of great friends, and sailed through academically. A friend of Max was talking to his mom and said, "Max is such a good kid. He ALWAYS does the right thing." Seriously, could there be a better compliment?
Here are a few of the End-of-Year events:


MOHAWK K-3 TALENT SHOW
Initially Max said he didn't want to play his cello in his school's talent show. As it came closer Max heard that a bunch of kids in his class were performing and he began to think that maybe he should. He talked to Mr. Jenks about it and Mr. Jenks told him that he would love to hear him play at the talent show. So Max got a permission slip for me to sign from Mr. Jenks, walked to his desk, then decided against it and brought the permission slip back to Mr. Jenks. Poor kid, deep down he wanted to play but was just too nervous to commit. With a little encouragement from me, Tyler, and Mr. Jenks he decided to play. He was pretty calm about it, but did get a little shy and tried to hide his face in his cello which caused a few wrong notes as his face pushed against the strings. I also forgot his endpin stop and ended up awkwardly holding it for him. But Max was great, and word spread through the school about the kindergartner who was amazing at the cello. The best part of the whole thing was when his friend stood up with his fists raised in the air to cheer after Max was done. It was EXACTLY what Tyler told Max would happen.  

KINDERGARTEN PICNIC
 Max and Yuto. Yuto is from Japan and speaks with an accent. When Max quotes Yuto he also speaks with a Japanese accent. It's pretty funny. 
 It was pretty hot (big surprise) so after everyone was done eating they gave each of the kindergartners a spray bottle so they could run around and spray each other. Definitely a success.

SUMMER BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION
 All the poor kids who have summer birthdays and never got a special day at school got to celebrate. The mom's brought cupcakes for the kids. From the looks of the floor after it was all over only a small portion of the said cupcakes ended up in the kids' mouths. 

LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
Had I been thinking I would have taken of picture of Max with Mr. Jenks or at least some of his little buddies. I was in a rush to get Max to his cello lessons though. (Wow, I could not be more lame if I tried!)  Luckily, Mr. Jenks sent a picture home with him and Max. I'm just too lazy to scan it at the moment. 

1 comment:

Maddi said...

That video of Max will never get old. Could your child be any cooler?!