Thanks to babysitting by Deb and financial compensation by the National Guard, Tyler and I were able to go on a quick vacation to San Diego for the annual AAPD meeting where Tyler learned many useful tools to better his pediatric career did not go to one meeting.
Our trip started out on a good note as Ella threw up gallons as we were driving to the airport. I was feeling more than a little guilty as Tyler and I hopped out of the car and we left Deb to navigate her way home to take care of a sick little toddler and clean up puke that covered the carseat and car. I knew Ella was in great hands with Deb, but I felt awful leaving Ella when she was sick.
Flying without kids was so incredibly easy. I realized that it was the first time I had flown without a child since Max was born. I almost didn't know what to do with myself when I only had to take off my shoes at airport security!
And now I feel like I need to wrap things up so I'll condense the rest of what I want to remember to bullet points:
- When we arrived at the hotel we realized we were in the more ghetto bay area and in a more ghetto hotel. Then we realized that we were in a room with the most uncomfortable and lumpy bed ever! Tyler was brave and asked to have our room switched. They kindly did switch us to a better bed that must have had a chain smoker staying in it before. Tyler then was SUPER brave and had our room switched again. The third room was the charm. And while perhaps not the Ritz, we had nothing to complain about because we weren't paying for it anyway.
- Walking with Tyler through San Diego and finally settling on a pizza place that took ages despite being nearly empty.
- Morning runs along the bay. Yes, that sounds picturesque, but it wasn't so much. Lots of homeless people, dirty boats, and running into the airport. We realized on the last morning that we had been running in the wrong direction. Had we simply turned left it would have been much more pleasant.
- A beautiful hike with the Sameen and Brigham and Sister (can't remember her name) at Torrey Pines where I burned maybe an eighth of the calories that were in the burrito I ordered afterwards. It was good, but had I realized that the California burrito had French fries in it I would have stuck with the vegetarian.
- An afternoon at the Coronado beach where one of Tyler's co-residents has a condo. Swimming in the freezing ocean by myself while Tyler surfed for the first time, and then getting to warm up in a jacuzzi.
- Meeting up with Berk, Jordan, and Maddi at Balboa Island for lunch and a little Sinfulishous (I have no idea how to spell that).
- "Is this your first time at Sinfulishous?"
- Berk and I creating our own signature lotion scents at said Sinfulishous and then waiting nearly an hour for the poor girl to mix up our $12 lotion scents.
- Parking super far away from the beach because there was a parking spot open and then realizing as we walked toward it that nearly every parking spot was open.
- Watching the boys juggle a soccer ball while me and Maddi chatted and froze.
- Meeting up with Tanner and Brynne at Ruby's where Tyler and I split a fantastic veggie burger and shake. So very yummy.
- Cramming all seven of us in the car so we could continue our conversations since it was freezing outside.
- Feeling cold for the first time in ages.
- Hanging out in the hotel room by myself without dinner while Tyler went to the AAPD block party. I don't get alone time EVER, so I really appreciated it despite my hunger pains!
- My first time eating sushi in America (I did have a bit in Japan long ago).
- The LONGEST CAR RIDE OF MY LIFE as we drove a friend to pick up his wife from a mall that ended up being super far away, and the whole time I thought my bladder was going to explode. I think I appeared very unfriendly, because I couldn't contribute at all to the conversation, but I was trying so hard not to pee my pants. As soon as we dropped them off at their destination I started to cry I was in so much pain!
- Sitting through the most awkward dinner of my life with the Baylor Pedo program. This probably set me back socially about 12 years, and I don't know that I will EVER be able to go to another group dinner where I don't really know the people. Seriously, it left a scar! :)
- Eating tiramisu. I had no idea. Enough said.
- Knowing that my kids were having the time of their lives with Grams, and that I didn't need to worry made everything so much better.
So there it is. It was fantastic to get away with Tyler. As much as I look forward to traveling with my kids, I hope to have many more vacations with just Tyler. He's pretty fun!




1 comment:
you blogged! yay! haha that trip was awesome, especially sinfulicious, and cramming in the car. love you sis!!
Post a Comment