Sunday, October 4, 2009

Races

Note: this is a bit boring as far as posts go. It may be to your benefit to skip this one all together. But do check out Max's time in his first 5k.
Tour de Fleurs 20k

2 weeks before the marathon I ran a 20k, which is approximately 12.4 miles or so. I was completely dead and not recovered from my long run 5 days earlier. It was hot and humid, but I expected that. I did not expect all the hills. (It's time that I stop thinking that all Texas races are nice and flat, because I have not run one that actually is.) The post-race party was great with tons of yummy stuff (bagels, ice-cream cookie sandwiches, Rocco's pizza, Sonic slushes, Jamba juice, pasta salad, beer...no wonder I can't lose any weight from running), music, and just the fun of ending at the beautiful arboretum. Lots of points to Tyler and the kids for waking up early to drop me off so I wouldn't have to worry about finding a parking spot.
1:39.40 (I was hoping to go a bit faster than that, but oh well)
8:01 min/mile

Note to self: never wear this shirt again running...you know why!
I must say, this is one very carefully posed picture!

Swiss Days 5k
1 week before the marathon was my favorite race of all: Santa Clara Swiss Days. I my be biased because my mom and Lisa are the race directors, but I think it is one of the best. I decided to fly to Utah a bit early so we could run it. Yep, Max was a little stud and ran the whole thing by himself. My mom stayed with him while I attempted to run fast, then I ran back and ran the last mile and a bit with them. He was so cute and never complained (it must have been all that training that he and Tyler did in Dallas). We kept pointing out little kids that were in front of him and he would keep on running so he could pass them. Someone also gave him an otter pop, so when he needed some energy he would stop and eat that. We both got a 2nd place medal, but he was more concerned about winning a flag in the drawing afterwards. He NEEDED to wave it at Maddi in the parade. Luckily he did win that flag (I'm sure there was no cheating on the race directors' part on that one).
Cass
22:10.4
7:08 min/mile
Max
46:07.3
14:50 min/mile

So Max ended up with a big blister on his little toe, and the next morning when he tried to walk he fell to the floor and started crying that his legs hurt. It didn't last more than a couple of minutes, but I felt like a pretty terrible mom at that point. If he would've thrown a tantrum or something I wouldn't have made him run. He was just so excited about the whole thing he never complained once.
Tessa was pushed by Papa in the stroller. I'm not quite crazy enough to make her run it. She was very content and right at home in the borrowed BOB stroller.

The beautiful Addy gave Max his medal...such a lucky kid.


St. George Marathon
Oh, what a happy and beautiful day! The weather was absolutely wonderful...I actually had people to run with during the first 17 miles...I really felt so great the entire time. The Tour des Fleurs was much harder than this. Max and Tessa had a sleepover at Mike and Deb's house while we had the traditional Pine Valley sleepover. Then they were at the end to see me, which was such a highlight to the day, a perfectly wonderful day. And I finally qualified for Boston with time to spare. I always felt like I could, but a little thing called training always got in the way. I am now 100% certain that marathons are much more enjoyable when you are actually in shape to run one.

Yeah to all the people who ran: Mom, Tanner, Maddi, Lincoln, everyone single one of the Mitchell's (including 18 week pregnant Aubree who ran a sub-4 marathon), the Copes, Annaca and Travis (I feel cool that I ran with him until Veyo hill, at which point his super running ability took over and he burned through the course), Kay and Katie Barry, Amber (uh..2:52?!?), Greg, my cousin Brad (he's gonna be a great runner, I just have this feeling...), my second cousin Lyndi, Marci (28 seconds from a sub 3 four months after a baby, oh to be that amazing), Jackie...

So I think I should just expect to be a bit disappointed with any other marathon that I run. I will never see so many people that I know, and I think the course is just about as good as it gets. It was so beautiful. Have I already said that?

3:34.59 :)
8:12 min/mile

A quick picture at Pine Valley. A little nervous, a little excited, and very cold.
If you look to the very right of the picture you will see a sliver of me. My dad and Berk were waiting at Snow Canyon when Tanner and I arrived. However, they didn't notice me running two steps in front of Tanner. I even threw my long sleeved shirt at them and they didn't see me. Honestly, I know that on my best day I am plain and forgettable, but my own family...

After I finished I walked down the course trying to find Lincoln and met him where they were handing out the icy washcloths. I ran with him until a kid yelled that he only had .2 miles to go. Lincoln excitedly said, "Okay!" and took off at a sprint towards the finish. I think he took 7th in his age division. I wasn't running marathons when I was 14. What a kid!