After my last experience with Max and soccer I have been very hesitant to sign him up again. But this year I felt like he was ready to give soccer another try. Before his first game he said, "Mom, I am SO excited for my game!" However, at that game he cried, refused to kick the ball, walked around aimlessly on the field when he would even step on the field at all, and basically acted like he did back when he was two years old. I was frustrated by Max then, but I have to admit I was having some anger issues seeing him act like that at 5. Thank goodness Tyler was there, because I did not handle the situation well at all. Really, if it would have been a test in parenting I would have received a solid F.
Maybe only I can recognize it from being his mom, but Max panicking slightly here and about to refuse to go out on the field.
This last Saturday Tyler and I were both nervous wrecks. We had tried to prepare Max for this game all week, but with Max sometimes you just never know. Nothing to worry about though, Max was a total champ. There was one episode of tears when his cleat came off on the field and he was worried he would get in trouble, but as soon as it was back on he was fine. His team lost by probably 15 goals (Tyler says it brings back memories of his old Dixie Downs soccer team), but we were so happy. He even scored a goal. I think things are going to be good with soccer from here on out, and it's kind of fun being a soccer mom. There was this kid on the other team who pushed like crazy. When Max was sitting out once he pointed out the pushy kid and asked if he should push him back when the kid pushed him. That's the most aggression I have ever heard come out of Max's mouth, and it was actually a proud moment for me. Of course we said no and taught him to push the other kid back with his shoulders and body instead. He actually tried it out a couple of times, which is good because I was about ready to run on the field and push the kid myself. Oh my, I hope I don't become one of those crazy moms who gets a little too into their child's sports.
Max happily watching his team play. He actually didn't get to sit out much. The kids on his team were dropping like flies. Max's team is all first year players, unlike the rest of the teams that have been together for at least a year, and they tend to run out of energy quickly (or in the girls' cases just prefer to chat on the sidelines).
I actually didn't take any pictures of him playing. I was too busy cheering for him. Oh no, I really am going to be an annoying soccer mom.
P.S. I may have been a bit like that pushy kid when I played on my 5 year old soccer team. My dad described me as "feisty" and not afraid to throw my elbows around. My mom described me as "mean". Apparently I was a very competitive girl. I actually have never forgiven Gerald Winkler for sitting down while playing goalie, watching the trucks pull into Mr T.'s, and letting the other team score on us over and over.